Wheathampstead Heritage: Virtual Museum Exhibit
Main Description: Click to expand/contract
This small house, constructed of red brick, dates from the mid-18th century. At that time, it served as the village 'lock-up'; prisoners were detained under the stairs. In the mid-19th century it was home to George Knight, the village policeman. In 1855, the local newspaper 'The Herts Advertiser', wrote "under the operation of policeman Knight our village prodigalities have been to a great degree suppressed and if a strict watch is kept on all public houses it will effectively avert the open crime and immorality which was formerly notorious and revolting to the peaceable and well conducted inhabitants". Amelia Nash of the Red Lion was fined £3 12s 6d for refusing to admit Knight to check that there were no customers in the house at 10.30pm. She had already been convicted of selling beer during prohibited hours.
In the 1940s, Mr Wren the wheelwright lived here, next door to his premises where Jessamine Garage now stands, ie a business that is still concerned with the transport needs of the village.
In-depth Description: Click to expand/contract
Additional Files: Click to expand/contract
There are currently no additional files associated with this site
Date Created: 01/01/2012 01:01:01, by: Adam Date last edited: 13/12/2012 09:30:09, by: adam