Wheathampstead Heritage: Virtual Museum Exhibit

Cherry Trees Restaurant
19th Century
main image for this site
secondary image for this site
tertiary image for this site
Now a restaurant, this was formerly a public house serving the Marshalls Heath and Leasey Bridge areas

Main Description: Click to expand/contract

The Cherry Trees Restaurant, formerly the Cherry Trees public house, was once one of twenty-six public houses and beer-houses in the parish of Wheathampstead.

In 1901, it was called “The Travellers' Friend”.  The 1911 census lists one public house and two beer houses nearby in The Folly.

A beer-house was so-called because the only alcoholic refreshment it could serve was beer.  At one time, for a small fee payable to the local excise officer, anyone could brew and sell beer.  This led to many shopkeepers, particularly in villages, selling beer alongside their shop wares.

In-depth Description: Click to expand/contract

If you need to add in depth details - use this field

Additional Files: Click to expand/contract

There are currently no additional files associated with this site

Cherry Tree, Marshalls Heath, Leasey Bridge

Cherry Tree: Cherry Tree Lane  

Marshalls Heath: Marshalls Heath  Rose Lane  

Leasey Bridge: Cherry Tree Lane  Leasey Bridge  Leasey Bridge Lane  

Show Map   Hide Map

Date Created: 22/03/2014 11:21:37, by: Richard   Date last edited: 24/03/2014 10:41:40, by: Richard

Close Window