Wheathampstead History Society




                              Two major projects were successfully realised in the village in 2019.

The Crinkle Crankle Garden has been created in what was the garden of the Old Rectory, and the new Wheathampstead Community Library was opened.

These important events in the history of the village have been added to the Timeline on this website at http://www.wheathampsteadheritage.org.uk/history-society-timeline.asp   





More than 320 copies of our book The Pubs of Wheathampstead 1830 to 1914 , published in June this year, have been sold to date. Copies are still available at the Post Office, The Swan, The Reading Rooms, The Elephant & Castle and The Village Barber, price £5.00.

For more information about the book, including some sample pages and an order form, click here. On the same page, you will find links to the individual histories of each of the 26 pubs.




Wheathampstead History Society was established in 2011. We are a voluntary organisation set up to share our interest and enjoyment in our local history and heritage. We aim to promote knowledge and understanding of the village, past and present, by means of research, publications, talks and displays.

We encourage local people to take an interest in and/or to research their local history and heritage. We liaise with other interested groups in the village and further afield.

We publish occasional bulletins and an annual newsletter and enjoy talks and outings. Supported by ‘All Our Stories' Heritage Lottery funding, a group of us spent a year researching ‘Our changing High Street over the last 100 years' and used digital media to tell the story. Please see History of the High Street .

Members are active in archaeology, recording oral history, and researching aspects of local history. In 2015 members created and put on a community play entitled ‘Wheathampstead's War' telling the story of some village men who went to fight in World War I and the War's impact on those left behind at home.

We meet on the third Wednesday in the month in the Mead Hall in East Lane (behind The Bull, next to the free car park) and have a programme of speakers.  

MEMBERSHIP is £8.00 a year for individuals and £12.00 a year for couples. Members pay a contribution of £1 per person per meeting attended and receive a free copy of our bulletins and newsletter. Visitors are charged £3.00 per meeting attended. Members are also affiliate members of Welwyn Archaeological Society and have free access to their meetings. 

You can become a member at any of our meetings or by downloading this membership form and sending it to our Membership Secretary along with a cheque made out to Wheathampstead History Society.


Chairperson:  Mike Smith

Hon. Treasurer: Stuart Lawson

Hon. Secretary: Ruth Jeavons, 44, Necton Road, Wheathampstead, St Albans AL4 8AU

Email address: whs@wheathampsteadheritage.org.uk