High Street Property Details

Over the past 100 years this shop, has been used by an assortment of businesses -  sometimes within its own premises and at other times having businesses extended from next door.

On 27th September 1984, together with No 32 High Street, the building was given a Grade II listing by English Heritage.  They described the building as ‘House and shop. Mid C19 terrace. Painted brick. Plain tile roof with central red brick ridge chimney stack. Two storeys. Four 1st floor glazing bar casements, three lights each. Circa 1965 ground floor shop on N. Rear elevation has original weatherboarding and a lean-to addition at the N.’

The 1891 and 1901 censuses show that an Edward A Roots used these premises as a saddlery. He was still trading as such in 1905 as indicated by several Kelly’s Directories entries.

By 1964 the property had become incorporated into Number 32 High Street for a series of shop-keepers to extend their businesses.  Mr F.R. Arnold was certainly using this building for his fishmonger business by 1964. Then the Village Vintners did so in 1988 and Village Videos in 1989.

The building was in a dilapidated state by 2005 when it was purchased by a private buyer. It has taken many years to refurbish it. During this refurbishment, it was discovered that the building had had many alterations over its life, with new walls put up or taken down, plus mounds of rubbish left over from across the decades. Part of the refurbishment incorporated the creation of a one-bedroom flat upstairs, spanning across the upstairs floors of No. 34 and No. 32 High Street.

At the beginning of 2014 the ground floor shop opened as  an 'Appointment only’ business called Gentlemen’s Field.


Researcher:  Jacky Edwards


Census' 1891, 1901, 1911 

Kelly's Directories  1905


Property Images

past & present images for this property

Additional images, documents, audio and video files: